Talk Health and Care

Self funding

they try but get bogged down with all the red tape, for me to progress further I need to leave work and attend uni, I have tried many times to get access to funded training and always get told I can’t access it or there simply is t any available. 

How does your employer help you to develop your skills or career?

They can’t 

What would you like to happen to enable you to develop your skills and career more?

why can’t you offer in house training for OT, psychology and so on, why are people expected to leave work to attend uni? Why can’t the OU courses be accredited so that the students can leave with a full psychology degree, why can’t placements be made available via the OU?

edited on Feb 13, 2019 by Heather DHSC

Heather DHSC 9 months ago

Hi Emma

Thanks for posting your idea. Health Education England have provided me with the following information, which I hope is helpful for you:

Clinical Psychologists who are employed in the NHS are required to have completed accredited post graduate training that meets the professional registration requirements of the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC). The British Psychological Society (BPS) accredits all the Doctoral Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych) training programmes that meet HCPC registration standards. The Open University (OU) does not currently offer a programme that is accredited by the BPS. However, trainees on accredited clinical psychology training programmes are employed by the NHS so that they can ‘earn and learn’ whilst they are training. This includes undertaking placements that are part of the training programme.

There is a Level 6 apprenticeship now developed in Occupational Therapy. You can read more about the apprenticeship standard here:

You can also use the following website to find out which apprenticeships are available locally to you:


Reply 0